[Pythonmac-SIG] Dock menu

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Mar 1 18:35:24 CET 2007

On 1-Mar-07, at 5:36 AM, Amrit Jassal wrote:

> I have a static dock menu created with Interface Builder (cocoa).
> Works great.
> I now have a requirement to add/remove items for this menu at run-
> time or enable/disable menu items at run-time.
>
> I cannot find a way to get a handle to the dock menu at run-time to
> get at the menu items that I want to enable/disable. Can I somehow
> get a reference to menu objects (NSMenu) at run-time?

Sure, there are several ways.  Your menu should already be hooked up
to the NSApplication outlet dockMenu in Interface Builder.  In theory
you should be able to get a reference using NSApp().dockMenu(), but
that doesn't appear to work.  You could subclass NSApplication to add
another outlet that behaves normally and gives you access to the
menu.  You could probably extract the menu from the Nib file, but
that's beyond what I can explain in an email.

> Or I cannot wire up the menu using IB and need to create the menu
> at run-time myself?

That's certainly an option.  I'm not sure why the dockMenu outlet is
not exposed in the API.  There is an (undocumented) NSApp
().setDockMenu_(my_menu) call in AppKit, but no
corresponding .dockMenu() unfortunately.  You can either use the
setDockMenu, or if your application delegate returns a menu from
applicationDockMenu_(application) that menu will be used, over-riding
any menu set in Interface Builder.

HTH

--Dethe
You need to lay out the user interface components visually, by hand,
with total control over where they go. Automated LayoutManagers don’t
cut it. A corollary of this is that you can’t move a UI layout from
one platform to another and have the computer make everything fit.
Computers don’t lay out interfaces by themselves any better than they
can translate French to English by themselves. -- Jens Alfke