[Pythonmac-SIG] 64-bit code

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sun Jun 17 20:06:03 CEST 2007

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> As was mentioned in the keynote, Leopard will by 4-way universal
> throughout except for some exceptions. This means that 32-bit builds for
> applications will run on all Leopard machines, there are no seperate
> Leopard builds for 32-bit and 64-bit machines. This in turn means you
> don't have to provide a 64-bit build unless you want to, which would
> most likely be because you can make use of the additional resources that
> a 64-bit build brings (both a larger addressspace and on Intel more
> registers).

OK, I guess this means that 32-bit isn't going away any time soon. The
Carbon-dev list seems to think that this announcement means Carbon is
going the way of Classic. At least some of the people on that list say
that they will drop Mac support rather than port to Cocoa, because they
need 64-bit. That's not directly germane to my concerns, as I don't
think I need 64-bit for what I do. If I port to Cocoa, I want it to be
my choice, not one coerced by Apple,  i.e., not supporting anything but
Cocoa.

Tk/Tkinter, my current GUI toolkit of choice, builds on Carbon and in
fact has in recent months undergone a huge amount of modernization to
bring it in line with modern Carbon standards (no more QuickDraw,
support for ATUSI, etc.). I haven't pushed my applications to the latest
versions of the Tk frameworks, but will be doing so soon.

I still can't believe that Carbon won't be 64-bit eventually...does
anyone really expect Adobe to port Photoshop or Microsoft to port Office
to Objective-C?

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin