[Pythonmac-SIG] problem fixing Carbon.AE/CarbonX.AE conflicts

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Nov 9 17:38:52 CET 2006

Hi all,

Trying to eliminate the conflict that occurs between Carbon.AE and
CarbonX.AE when both extensions are loaded. The problem is that both
extensions need to export the following functions for use by other
extensions: AEDesc_New, AEDesc_NewBorrowed and AEDesc_Convert.

The logical solution is to rename the CarbonX functions and have the
other appscript-related extensions (PSN, OSA, OSATerminology) refer
to those instead. Unfortunately, when I try to do this, all I get is
a bunch of 'symbol not found' errors on import:

 >>> import aem
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/aeosa/aem/__init__.py", line 6, in ?
     from send import *
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/aeosa/aem/send/__init__.py", line 11, in ?
     import connect
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/aeosa/aem/send/connect.py", line 10, in ?
     import PSN
ImportError: Failure linking new module: /Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/aeosa/aem/
send/PSN.so: Symbol not found: __AEDescX_Convert
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
lib/python2.4/site-packages/aeosa/aem/send/PSN.so
   Expected in: dynamic lookup

A py-appscript branch containing patches to _AEmodule.c and PSN.c is
available here:

svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/appscript/py-
appscript/branches/py-appscript-0.16.2

What am I doing wrong? I know my C's kinda ropey, but it's not
usually this bad.

Thanks,

has
--