[Pythonmac-SIG] State of DrawBot, missing features

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 12 18:32:22 CET 2006

Dinu Gherman wrote:
> Frederik Lundh
> seems to have abandoned his efforts to port DrawBot to Windows [4]
> due to its "overforking disease."

Well, if you want something cross-platform, maybe the wxPython
FloatCanvas (written by me) would serve you well.

What I like about it (and why I wrote it) are four key features:

Generalized floating point coordinates: use whatever coordinate system
you like, and it will scale everything for you. It even supports a
limited projection option (I include a flat-earth projection for doing
simple maps)

Object Canvas: Add objects to the Canvas, then those objects can be
removed, properties changed, whatever.

Zooming, Panning, etc.

Event binding to Mouse events on the Canvas.

I even wrote a little demo that duplicates a DrawBot demo I saw
somewhere. I've enclosed it. It should work with recent versions of
wxPython. It does create an ugly Yellow. Can someone who better
understands RGB fix that?

By the way, you can use FloatCanvas with wxPython to generate PNGs, etc,
without ever bringing up a Window, though the windowing system does need
to be there, which I'm pretty sure it always is on OS-X.

Note that FloatCanvas needs Numeric. The versions on pythonmac.org work
fine.

I have plans to put in a better rendering engine (maybe Agg), and in the
process separate the rendering engine from wx, so that it could be used
for non-GUI work without wx. No guarantee about when that might happen,
however.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov