[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3 vs 2.4 - Installer myopia

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Sun Apr 16 00:44:34 CEST 2006

> On Apr 15, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Installers for extensions are specific to a particular version of
> Python anyway.
But is that always necessary? I am sure it is sometimes, particularly
when the OS changes dramatically like from 10.3 to 10.4.
But what about the case of the Alias research product I wonder.

> Mac OS X installers don't try and detect Python,
> they hard code where they expect to find it (win32 installers do
> search though).  Your problem is that you found the wrong
> installer, not that the installer found the wrong Python.

Interesting lack of awareness and function in the Mac OS X
installers. Is it by design or due to a limitation in options in the
installer tools?
Why don't they behave like some well-mannered installers I have used
which locate *all* the potential paths and let you decide which one
is used?
And if the extension only works with say Python 2.4 on OS X 10.3, it
could either force acceptance of that one or if it didn't find it, it
could refuse to install.