[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3 vs 2.4

Troy Rollins troy_lists at rpsystems.net
Sun Apr 16 00:04:50 CEST 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Is there any particular reason to change it in
> MacOSX.environment.plist?  What applications do you use that aren't
> started from the shell, yet look in $PATH for Python?  I've never
> seen one, but then again I don't use GUI text editors like BBEdit
> or TextMate so I'm not sure what they do by default.

Komodo couldn't see it, it saw the unmodified path which did not
include /usr/local/bin

>>> then applications with hard
>>> links to /usr/bin/python don't break.
>>
>> This is true, but they do cause some confusion. For instance, I don't
>> seem to be able to install wxPython... it finds the "wrong" python.
>
> Installers for extensions are specific to a particular version of
> Python anyway.  Mac OS X installers don't try and detect Python,
> they hard code where they expect to find it (win32 installers do
> search though).  Your problem is that you found the wrong
> installer, not that the installer found the wrong Python.

Ah. I suppose that could be it too. I believe the one I found was
designed for Python 2.4.3 framework edition, which apparently does
not include ActivePython, which is also designed to be framework, or
so I thought.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.