[Pythonmac-SIG] Discussion of Python IDE's: strengths andweaknesses (long)

Derek Lee-Wo dleewo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:45:40 CEST 2005

I'll add my 2 cents....Eclipse and PyDev is the ONLY solution I've
found that I can work with.  I can edit my files and debug them
without crashing anything.  It is robust and I have yet to find any
stability problems.

I have tried all the other IDEs that have been mentioned in this
thread and they fall into 2 categories:

- Disorganized:  They are a mess with regards to how windows and
displays are organized or just look just horrible.  Maybe this is my
bias in coming from a Windows background

- Unstable: Several would constantly crash, some more than others, but
to me, if I get just one crash a day, that's unacceptable.  Who know
what I can potentially lose.

The most common complaint I hear about Eclipse is the size and
complexity, but I guess I have an advantage there as I've been doing
Java development with Eclipse and IBM's WSAD which is based on Eclipse
for a number of years, so I'm VERY comfortable in the Eclipse
environment.  It does take a while to start, but I'm accustomed to the
wait and once it's started, it runs fine.  I do agree though that it
takes a bit of effort to understand the concepts....workspaces,
perspectives, etc

--

---
Derek M. A. Lee-Wo