[Pythonmac-SIG] Just starting out - Python 2.3.3?

Richard Jones richard at commonground.com.au
Fri Jan 28 05:26:54 CET 2005

On 28/01/2005, at 2:45 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2005, at 7:31 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
>> 1. I can't find source for PyObjC (though I think it might come with
>> Python?)
>
> Ever tried google?  Even clicking "I'm feeling lucky" will take you to
> the right place.. which happens to be <http://pyobjc.sf.net>.

OK, a fair cop. I just assumed it would be hard to find given it's not
linked from pythonmac.org.

>> 2. I can't install a --enable-framework in a place other than
>> /usr/local -
>>    the --prefix and INSTALLDIR arguments to --enable-framework appear
>> to be
>>    ignored.
>>
>> I need the resulting Python to be relocatable (ie. bundled inside a
>> drag-installed app like other OS X apps) ... and I've now got a
>> niggling feeling that this isn't possible...
>
> The /usr/local crap just symlinks inside the framework, so your
> feeling is not correct.

Hrm. Still doesn't quite address point #2 though. I guess the answer,
reading between the next lines, is "it doesn't - just use /usr/local"
:)

> You will want to use py2app when bundling your application though, as
> the Mach-O headers need some rewriting in order to avoid conflict.  If
> you start it up with a non-System Python, it will automatically decide
> that you want to include a stripped down version of the Python runtime
> inside your application.
>
> .. note that py2app can even do this for a non-framework regular 'old
> unix-style build.  However, those builds don't have the machinery to
> run GUI applications outside of the context of an application bundle.
> If you're using PyObjC, you basically need to be using a
> per-application bundle anyway, so it's really not a problem.  py2app's
> alias bundle mode is great for this, I suggest reading the PyObjC
> tutorial.

Yeah, I guess I have a whole lotta reading to do. I've opened a can of
worms, and they're looking scary :(

Having said that, last time* I did this, PyObjC didn't exist and I'm
*pretty* sure it's making my life easier this time, if I can only crack
this minor issue of getting Zope up and running in a PyObjC-enabled
Python, and then have it bundled, and ... :)

     Richard

*: http://www.zope.org/Members/richard/zope_controller/mac