[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript terminology caching #2

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri Oct 22 20:18:44 CEST 2004

Jack wrote:

>>>There's all sorts of issues with starting daemons (like: will the
>>>daemon be system-wide or per-user?
>>
>>It's a user-level process, so I guess that makes it per-user.
>
>No, what I meant was "if user Jack starts ATS, then user Has logs in
>(either via the net or with fast user switching), will he use Jack's
>ATS?".

Ah, I get you now. Hmm, good question.

I don't know about fast user switching (since I'm on 10.2), but as
far as networked use goes. I think Remote Apple Events allow user HAS
to remotely control the running applications of Jack, the locally
logged-in user, if Jack has RAE enabled and HAS has an account with
admin privileges on that machine (or else found Jack's password on a
Post-It note;). e.g.:

	tell application "finder" of machine "eppc://has:foobar@0.0.0.11"
		get name of home
	end tell
	--> "Jack"

So in the Python equivalent, ATS on HAS's machine will use Jack's ATS
to get the terminology for Jack's running applications, allowing HAS
to script Jack's applications using appscript. I'm not sure there's
any other way you can do it; since Apple events are tied up with
GUI-based Mac apps, which are designed for running by a locally
logged-in user rather than a remotely logged-in one. (This is about
the point I start getting confused by the whole issue and think
myself fortunate for not normally having to deal with this stuff
myself.;)

I've not had much luck finding info on RAEs and related security
issues (e.g. searching apple.com turned up nothing very useful), but
I'll keep looking and see what turns up.

Thanks,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/