[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Subdirectories in py2app?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 7 22:19:05 CEST 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 4:06 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> In article <36DC97CA-17F8-11D9-A1CC-000A95686CD8 at redivi.com>,
>  Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 6, 2004, at 5:36 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
>> After having looked at wxGlade, it does a large number of things that
>> make it quite hard to bundle up in any fashion (it's too dynamic)..
>> the
>> big two are:
>>
>> - it expects to load code and data from the same place on the
>> filesystem
>> - it loads lots of code dynamically, only from the filesystem
>>
>> Basically what's needed is a packaged-application specific bootstrap
>> for wxGlade that does all of its code loading statically (new modules
>> surely aren't going to show up at runtime), and patch some globals in
>> common.py accordingly (it looks like the only source of this).. or
>> else
>> you will have to specify the widgets and code writers *as* data files
>> and specify all of their dependencies explicitly.
>
> My app is similar and I'd rather take the 2nd tactic if possible (since
> it's already what I'm doing with bundlebuilder and it works without any
> subtle tricks aside from some ugliness in my build script).
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to include a package of python code
> mixed with resources that cannot be zipped or reorganized?

The packages option allows you to do this, however the packages end up
in Resources/Python/site-packages/ .. wxGlade assumes that data files
such as README.txt as well as code files are in the same Resources
folder, which is the problem there.  Additionally, the code that
wxGlade loads isn't really in package format, it's just a folder full
of code.

You can also specify the code as data files, however that will not scan
the bytecode for additional dependencies.

I think I will have to add a feature that will scan code for
dependencies that also specifies that the files will be copied by other
means, or that the files should have an alternate destination.