[Pythonmac-SIG] scripting iCal

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Mon Nov 29 01:56:19 CET 2004

David Reed wrote:

>I'm now trying to write a script to just grab the events for the
>current date. I could pull all the events and check their start date,
>but figure there is probably an easier way.

Use appscript: http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html

Example:

#!/usr/local/bin/pythonw

from appscript import *
from datetime import date, timedelta

today = date.today()
tomorrow = today + timedelta(1)

# To get a list of today's events in calendar 1:
print app('ical.app').calendars[1].events.filter((its.start_date >=
today).AND(its.start_date < tomorrow)).get()

# To get names and descriptions of today's events in 'Home' calendar:
ref = app('ical.app').calendars.filter(its.title ==
'Home').events.filter((its.start_date >= today).AND(its.start_date <
tomorrow))
print zip(ref.summary.get(), ref.description.get())

Notes:

- iCal's scripting support isn't too great - like most of Apple's
iApps. Hence stupid crap like using filters to get calendars by
title: the doofuses that defined its Apple event object model used
'title' instead of 'name' for no obvious reason, which prevents you
from just using calendars['Home'] as you would in most apps.

- For asking advice on scripting specific applications, you might
want to subscribe to the macscrpt mailing list:
<http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=macscrpt&D=1&H=0&O=D&T=1>

HTH

has
--