[Pythonmac-SIG] items vs. documents in Safari suite

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Mon Feb 2 15:42:29 EST 2004

On 2/2/04 11:58 AM, "Mark Eichin" <eichin at metacarta.com> wrote:

> 4) Is there a trick to figuring out the raw event operations that a
>    given chunk of AppleScript produces?  I can find lots of
>    AppleScript examples, and if I could take something like
>      "repeat with i from 1 to the count of documents"
>    and figure out what it was really doing, it would be a lot easier
>    to come up with python equivalents.  Maybe some kind of AppleEvent
>    tracer, or disassembler?

If it's worth it to you, you can test, then buy, Script Debugger, made by
Late Night Software <http://www.latenightsw.com/sd3.0/index2.html> .

It's the best debugger and IDE I know for any language, a real pleasure to
work in, and well worth every penny if you're going to spend any time doing
AppleScript. The free demo is good for 30 days, which may be all you need.

You can step through every iteration of the repeat loop in your script (or
check any other variable. etc. etc) and switch the result window's Format
popup to "AEEvent". That will give you just the raw events you're looking
for.

Those of you who AppleScript might like to take a good look at SD, and see
what you think. I think it's fantastic. It's not beyond possibility that
Mark Alldritt, who makes SD, might be interested in making a similarly
classy (commercial) IDE for Python. I believe that he thinks that the Python
community (you guys) are already quite well-provided for by your own
efforts, and that Perl might be more needy and receptive to such a thing.
Take a god look, and see what you think.

--
Paul Berkowitz