[Pythonmac-SIG] Debuggers wanted for fixup script

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Dec 27 06:28:15 CET 2004

On Dec 26, 2004, at 6:15 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> I've added a script Mac/OSX/fixapplepython23.py to the CVS repository,
> only to the trunk for now, that will inspect and fix the
> Apple-installed Python 2.3 as per what we discussed here (making
> extensions build in a way that works, even if newer Pythons are
> installed).
>
> I'd like it if people could test the script, and test whether they see
> the warning (you need to run this script) if they do a framework
> install of 2.5a0 if their apple-python needs patching.
>
> Also, if people could run this on OSX 10.2 and 10.4, just to see that
> it doesn't cause any problems there, would be nice.
>
> The script does all sorts of error-checking (which hasn't been tested
> yet, of course:-), and I'm actually thinking of having the
> patch-installer (also discussed previously, this is a .pkg installer
> that will fix Apple-installed Python for people not building from
> source) also simply run this script, in stead of bluntly installing a
> modified copy of lib/config/Makefile. Opinions on this?

Bluntly installing the Makefile will only be a problem if the user has
an incorrect version of Mac OS X.  The installer should check the
version of the OS to be exactly 10.3.x as a precondition.  This check
can be done entirely in the Info.plist using functionality introduced
in the Mac OS X 10.3 installer.  There is no reason to have a script
that does this, and error checking doesn't sound very useful as it will
probably report "false positives" for people who have modified the
Makefile in a similar but weaker or even mildly incorrect manner, but
would still benefit from having the "officially patched" version.