[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac OS X, Python, and Tkinter

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Sep 18 11:24:34 EDT 2003

Back in the spring I was trying to find a way of extending Tkinter
plotting capabilities. Painfully, I came to realize that tcl (8.3
anyway) on Mac OS X did not support dynamic loading of extension
modules (e.g. togl or blt). [Am I wrong about this?] Since requiring
our users to compile a special version of tcl for our software was
something we really, really wanted to avoid, this limited our
plotting capabilities to what Tkinter provides natively. This was
extremely limiting.

Is anyone aware of what the current situation is? When do you expect
this limitation on tcl to be lifted? Will it be part of Python 2.4?

Thanks, Perry Greenfield