[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: pdf2tiff 0.6 available!

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Sep 18 06:36:03 EDT 2003

Hi,

I've now added two samples, so pdf2tiff is ready to be announced,
although for now you really need to have PyObjC preinstalled to run
it. Please see the Readme below. Comments welcome!

Have fun,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."

pdf2tiff
========

Summary
-------

pdf2tiff converts PDF documents to TIFF files on Mac OS X.

Overview
--------

pdf2tiff is a command-line tool for converting PDF documents to TIFF.
It takes PDF documents as input for which it creates one TIFF file
for arbitrary pages of it. It does not create multipage TIFF files,
yet. pdf2tiff works on Mac OS X with PyObjC 1.0b or higher installed.
It can be used as a command-line tool or as a simple Python module.

Basics
------

This is so basic there isn't much to explain for now.

History
-------

:0.6: first release, only Python code, uses PyObjC

Requirements
------------

There are no special requirements for running pdf2tiff, except for
a Python interpreter 2.x and PyObjC 1.0b [1]_ or higher. I'll think
about a GUI/binary distribution, later...

Licence
-------

pdf2tiff is released under the GPL - see the included file,
"GPL.txt".

Download
--------

The pdf2tiff distribution, including two PDF input samples and TIFF
output samples, as well as a few tests, is available from:

   http://python.net/~gherman/pdf2tiff.html

Notes
------

pdf2tiff generates TIFF files using the "standard" Cocoa libraries
for doing so. On OS X they are undistinguishable from other TIFFs
generated there. On the other hand, PIL seems to have trouble when
trying to read them. This is an issue to investigate further...

Future
------

I have some ideas for pushing this further, but I need some more
sleep to think them over.

Links
-----

.. [1] http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/