[Pythonmac-SIG] Another build question: ssl?

Dan Wolfe wolfeman@mac.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:09:13 -0800

setup.py, python 2.2.2 (with the patch targeted towards a 2.2.3 update
and 2.3)

It's  a problem because until we can guarantee every shared library on
OS X is a .dylib - including those in /usr/local/lib & other lib
locations - we don't want to cause distutils to break on OS X when it
tries to get the pathname to a particular library.  Does anyone other
than python actually use this particular distutils functionality other
than python, I don't know... and don't have time to check... ;-)

Like you, most of my shared libraries are .dylib, and most of my
plugins are .so's... but since I can't guarantee compatibility with
everyone's locally installed libraries out there, it just seems prudent
that we should take the path that gives us the greatest chance of being
compatible with the fewest potential side effects.

On the other hand, if you can prove that it's compatible with
everything out there, I'll gladly change my position.

- Dan