[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: 2.1.1 under 10.1 [was Python package maker for OS X Installer.app]

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 06:37:21 -0500

Hi Jack,

	My naive guess is that folks try "make install", and when that
fails (since "normal" users aren't allowed to create directories in the
default area: /usr/local/...) they decide to run the install as root so
that it will be allowed. Isn't this what most folks do on most unixish
systems anyway? Is there some security problem with this?

thanks,
-steve