[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: 2.1.1 under 10.1 [was Python package maker for OS X Installer.app]

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:54:38 +0100

> I can build 2.1.1 fine under 10.1 (on a UFS partition) using:
>
> env LDFLAGS='-flat_namespace' OPT='-no-cpp-precomp' \
>      ./configure --with-dyld

Ah, great!

> make
> make test
> sudo make install

Why are so many people using "sudo make install"? This is a really bad idea, I
think, to install Python owned by root, but a lot of people seem to do this.
Is there something in the documentation somewhere that suggests this? Another
reason?
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm