[PythonCE] New release (2.3.4)

David L. Kashtan kashtan at Validus.Com
Wed Jul 7 06:55:28 CEST 2004

> 1) Is there a way to have more then one instance of python running? In the previous release Richard Deeley had
>    hacked the pcceshell so that you could run multiple instances. but know I don't even see the pcceshell.

The pcceshell is now something internal to python.exe -- less things
necessary to have a running Python Shell, so less things to go wrong.
It does specifically look for other versions of the Python Shell running
and resumes it.  I can add a command line switch that disables this.

> 2) There seems to be a problem in the error reports of the traceback for I/O
> (files) and Windows (when using the _winreg module) errors. For example if I
> try to open a file for reading that doesn't exist I get this error:
> IOError: [Errno 7] T: <file path>
> The "T" is not very informative.
> Similar  thing is with the WindowsError.

This is because there is no sys_errlist[] in the Python "C" runtime.  I will
see what I can do to emulate this.

> 3) Is there a way to add thing for when python starts up. For example I would
> like to add the folder of my scripts to the path, and the path of the docs to
> os.environ['PYTHONDOCS'].

Will implement something for this as well.

> 4) There are also other changes that people made to the previous releases.
>    My question is if there is any way to incorporate them.
>    For example the exec* functions hadn't worked, Telion made a module
>    osce that made some work. (there were others also).

If these were external modules (i.e. they are .pyd or .dll files) then we should
be able to easily incorporate them.

David