[PythonCAD] Installing on MEPIS

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Mon Dec 18 02:39:02 CET 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:30:47PM +0530, Yagnesh Desai wrote:

> I am new to LINUX with just 2 Months into it hence please pardon
> my queries if they are already answered. (I tried to search the
> pythoncad group but without search facility like one in google groups
> its difficult.

Hi.

> I am using MEPIS - (Debian/ubuntu), I have installed the
> pythonCAD by downloading pythoncad_0.1.26-1_all.deb
> there were some conflict while installing this and
> after some of few more package download I could resolve
> the conflict.

I would hope that there is a more recent '.deb' package
for PythonCAD than the one listed above.

> Now as per the installation procedure in the www.pythoncad.org
> I tried to look for the gtkpycad.py but failed.
>
> Then I downloaded PythonCAD-DS1-R34.tar.bz.tar,
> PythonCAD-DS1-R34.tar.bz2.tar & PythonCAD-DS1-R34.tar.tar
>
> (pardon my ignorance as I did not know what would be good for me)
>
> I extracted files from PythonCAD-DS1-R34.tar.bz.tar and then run the
>
> $ python setup.py install
> $ cp gtkpycad.py /usr/local/bin

If you performed the step above as a non-root user then most likely
nothing was installed as the two steps above often require the
ability to install files in locations that only the administrator
can control.

> # this line gave me error that the location does not exist. Which is true.
>
> Now I tried
>
> $ python gtkpycad.py
> from the directory which this file stays and the CAD environment is started
> now I have confusion if it is the fully featured version or it is that part
> of the modules which are operational.

It should be running the program just as if it was installed. I'd
slightly change your command you typed above to the following, though:

$ python ./gtkpycad.py

By prepending the './' you will ensure the 'gtkpycad.py' file in the
current directory is the one that is executed.

> I have read that there is some problem with the debian type LINUX. Is it
> the same thing.

I run Debian on my main machine, so there is no problem running
PythonCAD on Debian itself. I'm not familiar with MEPIS so I don't
know what to look for if PythonCAD does not run correctly there.

> Please guide me.
> I have already started learing PYTHON

Learning Python is a great way to help in PythonCAD development, plus
you can write all sorts of other scripts/programs/utilities that make
using your machine more pleasant, easier, and faster.

Feel free to write for answers to problems you encounter, and sorry
about taking so long to reply.

Art Haas