[PythonCAD] Consistency in operations in PythonCAD

Wilbert Knol w.knol at niwa.co.nz
Wed Dec 14 07:04:57 CET 2005

> but I'd like to hear from
> people familiar with other CAD packages, particularly AutoCAD, how
> similar operations are performed. Does the program require you to select
> entities first, or do you start some move command mode and then specify
> which entities will be moved?

I can't recall how AutoCAD does it, but it used to be annoyingly inconsistent.

My elderly version of IntelliCAD allows both:

1. When idle, a click selects objects. A right-click then pops up the context
menu, which has 'move' as a choice.

2. On the other hand, if I select 'move' from the pull-down menus, I get
prompted to make a selection, a displacemet etc.

Option 1 (the context menu move) has my preference: no need to travel to the
top of the screen to pull down a menu, the pointer goes straight to the
object to select and stays there.

An alternative way - used by gschem - would be to use a combination of a
keyboard hotkey (e.g. 'm' to move something) and a mouse click (to select the
object). This is really quick. once you get the hang of it.

Wilbert.