[PythonCAD] problem to launch PythonCAD

Neuman Neuman at fastwebnet.it
Tue Dec 13 21:08:59 CET 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 02:29 am, Art Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 10:52:23PM +0000, Neuman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm quite new with Linux and Python (so please be tolerant with my
> > noobie's questions), I was searching a CAD program released under GPL and
> > PythonCAD seems to fit my needs but I have have encountered some
> > problem....
> >
> > I have installed the program on my desktop , but when I try to launch it
> > with "gtkpycad.py" it tell me:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/local/bin/gtkpycad.py", line 30, in ?
> >     import pygtk
> > ImportError: No module named pygtk
> >
> > Well, I checked if my pygtk was correctly installed, I launched the
> > command "rpm -qa  | grep pygtk" and it gives me the following  output:
> >
> > pygtk2.0-libglade-2.3.96-1mdk
> > pygtk2.0-wrapper-2.3.96-1mdk
> > pygtk2.0-2.3.96-1mdk
> >
> > So, the pygkt is correctly installed but python cannot view it.
> > What is wrong about it?
> >
> > I use Python 2.4.1, Mandrake Linux 10.1.
> >
> > Thanks to all
>
> Hi.
>
> I don't have a Mandrake machine to test with, so based on what the
> listed pygtk package you have installed I would have guessed PythonCAD
> should have started. What you may want to try is installing a '-devel'
> package for pygtk, as maybe that package has some of the libraries or
> files needed for pygtk apps to run, but this suggestion is only a guess.
>
> What happens when you manually start python and try to import the
> 'pygtk' module ...
>
> $ python

> Does that work?
>
> Art Haas

Hi Art,
thanks for your answer,

I tried to import pygtk after manually started python as you suggested, the
output it gives me is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named pygtk

So I think the problem is not pythonCAD itself but that python cannot view
pygtk library, I'll try to solve this by myself or asking to python
community.

I hope I can have pythonCAD running on my machine soon to use it and possibly
to contribute as final user.

Thanks again,
Bye

Dario