[PythonCAD] problem to launch PythonCAD

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Mon Dec 12 03:29:55 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 10:52:23PM +0000, Neuman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm quite new with Linux and Python (so please be tolerant with my noobie's
> questions), I was searching a CAD program released under GPL and PythonCAD
> seems to fit my needs but I have have encountered some problem....
>
> I have installed the program on my desktop , but when I try to launch it with
> "gtkpycad.py" it tell me:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/gtkpycad.py", line 30, in ?
>     import pygtk
> ImportError: No module named pygtk
>
> Well, I checked if my pygtk was correctly installed, I launched the command
> "rpm -qa  | grep pygtk" and it gives me the following  output:
>
> pygtk2.0-libglade-2.3.96-1mdk
> pygtk2.0-wrapper-2.3.96-1mdk
> pygtk2.0-2.3.96-1mdk
>
> So, the pygkt is correctly installed but python cannot view it.
> What is wrong about it?
>
> I use Python 2.4.1, Mandrake Linux 10.1.
>
> Thanks to all

Hi.

I don't have a Mandrake machine to test with, so based on what the
listed pygtk package you have installed I would have guessed PythonCAD
should have started. What you may want to try is installing a '-devel'
package for pygtk, as maybe that package has some of the libraries or
files needed for pygtk apps to run, but this suggestion is only a guess.

What happens when you manually start python and try to import the
'pygtk' module ...

$ python
>>> import pygtk

Does that work?