[PythonCAD] distutils.core issue on installation

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Mon May 17 10:01:59 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 09:35:22AM -0400, Sergio Hernandez wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have some free time now, to test some cad programs under Linux, so I'm
> trying to install the last release of PythonCAD. I've yet installed the
> python2.2, gtk2.0 and it's dependencies, and the pygtk packages on my
> Debian Woody. But when I try to run ~# python setup.py install, as is
> indicated in the INSTALL intructions, I get the following message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 10, in ?
>     from distutils.core import setup
> ImportError: No module named distutils.core
>
> I'm not a programmer, just a cad user, interested in linux developes, so
> I don't kow how to solve this issue.
>
> Can you help me please?

Hi.

The 'distutils' stuff is part of Python. Perhaps you need to install the
'python2.2-dev' package? A quick 'apt-cache search python' on my machine
lists _lots_ of Python 2.2 pacakges, and the '-dev' package looks like a
likely candidate to contain the 'distutils' files.

If you already have the '-dev' package installed, then I'm not sure what
to try. An e-mail to the Debian-python list may be needed, or perhaps
searching that archive's mailing list may help.

Art Haas