[PythonCAD] No module named gobject

Wilbert Knol w.knol at niwa.co.nz
Mon Mar 15 18:22:06 EST 2004

> I'm not exactly familiar with Mandrake, but it sounds like the
> PyGTK package is only half-installed. I'm thinking that there
> are two packages - the PyGTK runtime package and then the
> development package - that have to be installed. Can you
> tell if you have both installed?

pygtk-devel-0.6.9-6mdk
pygtk-0.6.9-6mdk

are both installed. I have realised I need a much later version than
0.6.9.

> There won't be a 'gobject.py' file installed, as PyGTK creates
> a compiled code shared library 'gobject.so' that Python loads
> up.

That explains it. Sorry, I was unaware Python could load shared-object
code.

pygtk-0.6.9 doesn't have gobject.so, so I downloaded pygtk-2.0.0,
which does....but it won't compile because gtkgl.pc is missing
(although I do have libgtkgl.so, courtesy of libgtkglarea5 and
libgtkglarea5-devel).

I wrote my own gtkgl.pc, and now pygtk-2.0.0 compiles, but there are
several methods it skips because of undefined types...it's not a good
look.

Anyway, the GTK installation here seems to be a bit of a mess (nothing
to do with PythonCAD). I will have to give Mdk 9.1 the flick and go
to something better.

Thanks, Art, for the suggestions.

Wilbert.