[python-win32] WinSxS, manifests and binary distribution ?

Robert kxroberto at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 9 22:00:23 CET 2011

Michel Claveau wrote:
> Hi!
>
> *sorry for my bad english*
>
> I do not know if my problem has same origine that your, but I have
> a problem with win32ui, only since pywin32/215
> when I call a COM server who contain "import win32ui"
>
> With versions 215 ot 216, I have this traceback:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "D:\Dev\python\pywig.py", line 29, in <module>
> import win32ui
> ImportError: DLL load failed: Le module spécifié est introuvable.
>
> With version 214 or prior, I have no problem.
> I (re)-install 216: problem.
> I (re)-install 214: no problem.
>
> I had try to re-register the server ; I had try on a dozen of
> computers, with differents windows (XP, Vista, 7 ; 32 & 64). With
> Python 2.6 or 2.7. Always the problem. (all my tests with Pywin32
> in 32 bits).
> I can reproduce the problem at will (on my computers).
>
> @-salutations

I get a different error in COM servers when loading win32ui:
"error in DLL initialization", and even before: a error regarding
C-Runtime problems.

I just see: In 216 there is a different/no reference to the SxS
MSVCR90.dll. While in 212 there was a reference to same WinSxS
version as in pythonw.exe. This may be a bug, but all that is a
little obscure ..

If its really just "DLL load failed: Le module spécifié est
introuvable." you may add

     def syspath(self, arg=0):
         return unicode(sys.path)

to your _public_methods_ (and move the import win32ui from global
to a function if not already done) and see..
Check also what is actually called in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\<IID>\LocalServer32

Robert