[python-win32] Problems passing VARIANT SAFEARRAY datatype

nosebluntslide@gmx.net nosebluntslide at gmx.net
Thu Aug 18 19:16:58 CEST 2011

hi there!

in short: is there a way to create a datatype in python like this: VARIANT(SAFEARRAY(byte[...])) of arbitrary size ??

problem is the COM-interface of the software i want to communicate with expects a value of the mentioned datatype from me. so when i'm initializing an attribute of the used COM-object with a common tuple like (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) i get (3,0,149,0,0,0,0,0,1,0) back reading it... i read somewhere, that python allegedly passes VARIANT(SAFEARRAY(VARIANT (...))) when delivering a tuple to a COM-structure. so i was trying to fix that by using the comtypes- and array-lib. but creating an array with uint8 values didn't work out also...

to get hints about the COM-interface and to avoid conversion-mistakes i already did a makepy - still not working!

i should say that i just getting started with COM, but i am programming python for some years. so, maybe i'm not informed enough about python-COM until now...or maybe i just reached my limits ! :)

hope you guys can help me out!! thanks in advance

seb