[python-win32] VS.NET2005; missing include/lib paths and libraries

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Sep 26 19:02:48 CEST 2007

Stephen Warren wrote:
> Mark Hammond wrote:
> > Stephen Warren wrote:
> >> Also, my eventual desire is to submit a patch to implement hard-link
> >> functionality for Win32 via CreateHardLink.
> > win32file already exposes this function.
>
> So it does; I'd forgotten about the pywin32 stuff.
>
> Is there a reason that this is in pywin32 and not os.link()? i.e. if I
> were to put the code in posixmodule.c (in a backwards compatible way)
> would the patch be acceptable, or is there some disadvantage to
> implementing it in the os module?

One issue is that the os module is part of the Python standard library,
not the Python-Win32 add-on.  There's an entirely different bureaucracy
for submitting and vetting submissions for the standard library.

Further, you're talking about a function that is specific to a very
narrow subset of the operating system universe, and further one that is
supported on a subset of the available file systems.  For better or for
worse, the Python mindset is still a Unix-based mindset, and there is a
tendency to eschew Windows-specific changes in the core library.

Having said that, there is certainly nothing to stop you from submitting
a patch to python.org.  I wouldn't expect the pywin32 version to go
away; win32file is intended to expose the file APIs from the Win32 SDK,
and CreateHardLink certainly qualifies.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com