[python-win32] USB access using win32file.deviceIOcontrol

Sebastian Friebe basti at benkers-rock.de
Tue Dec 11 21:16:34 CET 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to get access to a USB mass storage device in order to send
low-level SCSI commands, like TEST_UNIT_READY and REQUEST_SENSE.
I'm looking for a pure Python solution using the deviceIOcontrol
function out of the win32file package.

Does anyone has experience with it?

I heared about libusb_win32 and pyUSB, but I couldn't figure out if
these are really required. I guess these packages are needed just in
case you want to do higher level operations in an application, right?

Thanks for your help in advance and best regards,
Sebastian