[python-win32] Mailslot

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Dec 11 18:17:53 CET 2007

Michel Claveau wrote:
>> I've added CreateMailslot, GetMailslotInfo and SetMailslotInfo to
>> win32file, so they should be available in the next release.
>>

> 3 points :
>   - thanks, Roger
>   - Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!  All this work, and all this time spent (by me), for
> nothing!

Hey, now, this wasn't wasted time at all!  First of all, your
exploration and your potential work around will be recorded for
posterity in the archives of this mailing list.  Someone who comes by
next year with the same question will be able to look at the path you
went down, and make their choice based on the version of things they are
required to run.

Second of all, "ctypes" is the Swiss army knife of Windows Python
programming.  Any expertise you gained in ctypes usage while exploring
this will pay back handsomely the next time you are faced with a similar
problem.

Third of all, it has been educational for all of us.  I've been doing
Windows programming for 17 years, and in all that time, I have never
come across a good use for a mailslot that couldn't be better solved in
another way.  It's interesting to me that you have such an application.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com