[python-win32] Re: Acrobat Reader

Roger Upole rwupole at msn.com
Thu Apr 6 05:00:07 CEST 2006

Tim Roberts wrote:
> <mirco.furlan at visionee.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to use an instance of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I can successfull
>>create an instance with win32com.client.Dispatch,
>>

> How did you do that?  To my knowledge, the only way to do that is to use
> AcroExch.App, which is only exposed by the full Acrobat product, not the
> Reader.  As far as I know, the standalone Reader application simply
> cannot be controlled via COM.  There is an ActiveX control, but that's a
> bigger deal.

Acrobat Reader can be used as a COM object thru its Internet Explorer plugin.
When you open a PDF directly in IE, the Document object is provided
by Acrobat.

import win32com.client, time
ie = win32com.client.Dispatch('InternetExplorer.Application')
 ie.Visible=1
ie.Navigate('somedocument.pdf')
while ie.Busy:
    time.sleep(1)