[python-win32] Unable to find PythonCOM20.dll

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Jul 17 01:54:02 CEST 2004

> Well, no. For python2.0 and the win32all-144.exe installation of the
> win32 extensions, there is no site-packages directory and there is no
> pythoncom.py distributed. I think it hopes to find PythonCOMXX.dll
> because it is installed in the winnt/system32 (win2k) directory. I
> tried putting the pythoncom.py file from a python23 installation but
> its magic fails because it cannot find the library.

win32all-144 used the registry to perform even blacker magic than later
builds.  The magic in pywintypes.py was used to avoid the registry, but if
the registry keys exist, they will still be used (by Python itself, before
we get a chance to intercept)

Look for HKLM\Software\Python\PythonCore\2.3\Modules.  I recommend upgrading
to build 202 - installing these later builds will nuke these old keys, and
use the pywintypes.py white-magic.

Mark.