[python-win32] GUI Rad for Python win32

Kerry Oliphant koliphant at qwest.net
Mon Apr 5 10:54:40 EDT 2004

Somesh,

In order to create a menu you have to have a SDI or MDI application with a
mainframe.  You cannot have a generalized menu in a simple dialog box (at
least not using the standard menu system)  I use the technique I described
for dialog based application that do not have menus.  If you want menus and
you still want to use only win32all you will have to do even more hand
coding.  Look at the python files that come with Pythonwin.  That will show
you what you have to do.  Start with the file pywin\framework\app.py.  I
have not actually done it myself.

If you are really new to win32 programming I would probably go the visual
basic route to build your GUI.  Then develop COM objects in python that the
visual basic GUI can access.  Again, Mark and Andy's book shows you how to
do this.

best of luck,

Kerry