[python-uk] 2 Principle Engineer roles in London up to £95k

Alistair Broomhead alistair.broomhead at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 03:12:21 EST 2016

Let's get a few things out in the open:

1. This shouldn't need saying, but the python-uk making list is here to
serve the Python community in the United Kingdom. As the key usage of
Python by a large chunk of that community is gainful employment those of us
I've spoken to in person all seem to agree that job listings are
appropriate.

2. There is no code of conduct on this mailing list, but if we're not
sensible and sensitive there are only two ways this can go:

a) there is no more mailing list, nobody wants to be on here

b) we end up with a code of conduct in order to avoid a)

If we go the route of b) there may well be standards imposed on job
listings posted to this mailing list, but one or two of the replies on this
thread would probably result in those people having their posting
privileges removed. As someone who tries to be professional on here I have
no problem with that idea, but some might find it off-putting, si maybe we
should just be sensible.

3. Mail filters exist. If you really have an objection to seeing job
adverts there are only a handful of recruiters on this list. Just block
their messages and you won't have any problems.

4. Bullying is never acceptable. I can see that there is some good natured
humour in here, but at the point someone takes offence you should stop, or
at least make your position of not trying to cause offence clear. Telling
someone they should not have been offended, or that they shouldn't be in
here in the first place is not acceptable and creates further bad feeling.

5. Don't forget that most of the people who subscribe to this list do not
post. It might feel like a friendly chat between friends that is intruded
on by people you might not agree with, but there are hundreds if not
thousands of people watching.

Hopefully all of these points should be obvious to us all, and I'm not way
out of line on any of them, but I don't like the way this thread has gone,
it does not match with my thoughts on the temperament of our community, and
if there was a vote to close button I'd have pressed it long ago. If you
agree the best response to this message is none at all.

Al