[python-uk] Python evening talks in London

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 15 00:38:37 CET 2007

Hi all,

Yet another London-centric suggestion.  Apologies to the rest of the
country.

I've been talking to a friend who is discovering the joys of Python, and
is a committee member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology
(www.theiet.org)  He believes we could get rooms in their place, which
is next to the Savoy, to hold evening talks followed by networking over
a drink or two.  They have a distinguished location with rooms for
anything from 20 up to 200 and he believes it could cost little or
nothing to the visitors.

The general idea would be a talk on some Python-related subjects,
libraries or frameworks, about once a month, which can reach a wider
network of developers than usually turn up for the pub sessions.  People
would be encouraged to bring laptops (Wifi available) and try out
whatever's being talked about, so if they discovered a few useful
libraries for a task, they could put them to work next day; and
experience Pythonistas could advise newbies.

A proposal is needed to their committee by end of this month.  So,
- who'd find something like this useful?
- who'd like to give talks, and on what?
- who'd like to hear talks, and on what?
- who'd bring colleagues along?
- any thoughts on format, target audience and so on....

I understand the start would be a few months off.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect