[python-nigeria] My Official Introduction, DjangoGirls Lagos and the Python-Nigeria Community

Aisha Bello aishabello2050 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 07:20:39 EST 2015

Dear Pythonistas,

My name is Aisha Bello. I am currently studying for a master's in
Information Technology. I have been a DjangoGirl since July this year which
was my first ever encounter to the beautiful world of Python. I am also
doing my dissertation in the field of Data Minning and Machine learning and
trying to predict future customer's profile of a hotel using Open source
data mining tools and definitely implementing in Python :D. Among other
things I am a Tech and Python community enthusiast and I am also helping to
co-organize a DjangoGirls event in Windhoek at the PyCon Namibia happening
in January, and it's a pleasure to virtually meet you all.

DjangoGirls which is a global not for profit organization is focused on
teaching women the basics of programming by learning how to build a website
in #Html #CSS #Python and #Django. Since Inception in 2014 it has been held
by volunteers all over the world in 51 countries, and I am excited that we
would be hosting our first workshop in Lagos on the 20th of February with a
pre-install party on the 19th.

I would love to say thank you for all the positive feedback and support I
have gotten from everyone here and I look forward to further
correspondence. If you would like to be a mentor or knows a company who
would like to sponsor the event find more details at
www.djangogirls.org/lagos

On Community, I am really passionate about growing the community and
promoting python in Nigeria. Because I have your support; on the footer of
the website, and also on the sponsorship proposal I have added that we have
the support of the Nigerian Python community, and put a link to the mailing
list on the website, hopefully that would provide more publicity for the
list, so all passionate Nigerian Pythonistas can converge in one place and
we can share ideas on how to move the community forward. After the
DjangoGirls event we would have a thank you dinner for the coaches, I was
thinking we could make it into the first meet and greet of the Nigerian
Python Community and even if you can't be there to coach you can join us
afterwards for the dinner. A round table discussion on everything community
would be a very good way to startup. If you all are interested then we
could talk more about it. I also plan on using all DjangoGirls platform to
promote the Nigerian Python community via social media and to more groups I
intend to reach out to.
I am making other plans to submit a proposal at the PyCon Namibia
conference about the Nigerian Python Community and DjangoGirls
*fingersCrossed*. You all would agree that we have a beautiful story to
tell as to how this came, about and I am more than happy to tell it,
reaching out to other Nigerian pythonistas and garnering support and
awareness from the Python community in other parts of Africa and in the
globe as a whole. And who knows we might just be hosting the newest Python
conference in Nigeria in a not too distant future. More importantly is to
come up with ways on how to promote Python in Nigeria from the ground level
up and using the power of code to change Nigeria as a whole, like what code
for Nigeria is doing for primary and secondary school students among others.

There's more to be said but I should stop here, apologies for the really
long email *bad habit*. Many thanks for your time and I am looking forward
to further talking and meeting all of you in person really soon :)

Greetings,