Is pickle buggy?

Brian Kelley kelley at bioreason.com
Fri Jul 14 06:15:25 EDT 2000

jepler epler wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:35:54 +0200, Thomas Thiele
>  <thiele at muc.das-werk.de> wrote:
> >Hallo! I try it again, becouse it is important:
> >
> >Why does this programm (pickle) eats memory?
> >Why does pickle (marshal in it) not freeing the whole memory?
> >
> >And not cPickle eats more memory!
>
>  <snip>

> The following code will produce the memory leak without invoking pickle:
>
> def uniquestring(): # the code to generate those unique 5-letter strings
>
> while 1:
>         eval(`uniquestring()`)

I don't get that behavior on windowsNT.  If I directly
intern(uniquestring()) then memory gets eaten extremely fast, not on the
order of hours but on the order of minutes.

I'll let eval(`uniquestring()`) run for a while and see what happens.

> If you think this sucks, you're probably right.

See how fast memory gets eaten directly with intern() (I'm not saying intern
isn't the culprit though...)

--
Brian Kelley          Bioreason, Inc
505 995-8188 ext 207  150 Washington St Suite 303