Is pickle buggy?

jepler epler jepler.lnk at lnk.ispi.net
Wed Jul 12 08:34:35 EDT 2000

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:35:54 +0200, Thomas Thiele
 <thiele at muc.das-werk.de> wrote:
>Hallo! I try it again, becouse it is important:
>
>Why does this programm (pickle) eats memory?
>Why does pickle (marshal in it) not freeing the whole memory?
>
>And not cPickle eats more memory!

Augmenting the test program with:
class X:
	def __init__(self, s): self.s=s
I can also observe this behavior.

RedHat 6.2/python 1.5.2-13

I suspect, but haven't read the source well enough to know,
that this has to do with the interning of strings.

The following code will produce the memory leak without invoking pickle:

def uniquestring(): # the code to generate those unique 5-letter strings

while 1:
	eval(`uniquestring()`)

If you think this sucks, you're probably right.

Jeff