Python 2.0 - win32pipe routines inclusion for Windows

Peter Schneider-Kamp peter at schneider-kamp.de
Wed Jul 19 01:24:37 EDT 2000

David Bolen wrote:

> I've noticed that the latest sources for Python 2.0 in CVS have
> included the win32pipe code from the PythonWin extensions as a
> replacement for the prior os.pipe() routine in Python 1.5.2.  One
> consequence of this is that you no longer receive process exit codes
> on the pipe.close() operation.  Since I need the result codes in my
> work, and work under Windows NT primarily, I figured I'd try to do
> something about it.

Excellent! That's Open Source at its best.

> I've created a small patch to the latest posixmodule.c in CVS that
> uses an internal dictionary to maintain a mapping between created
> pipes and child processes so it can retrieve the exit code, and was
> wondering if this is something that should just be submitted to the
> SourceForge patch manager or if there is any other process for Python
> 2.0 (this is my first non-R/O poke at the sources).

You got three possibilities:
- Just follow the guidelines at http://python.org/patches.
- Look at the Python at Source Forge FAQ: http://python.sourceforge.net
- just submit it, because that's what they tell you<wink>

> While munging around in the source it also appears that there seems to
> be a mismatch between the ordering of file handles returned by the
> higher order popen# routines in the internal posixmodule (the
> win32pipe routines) versus the current popen2.py library module.  I
> think I saw a discussion about this in the python-dev archives, but it
> wasn't clear if the two should be consistent at this point in the
> repository.

I can't comment on this one. If no one answers in the next days,
maybe you should send this question to python-dev at python.org.
Note that at least 120% of python-dev are at OSCON.

Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de