Python 2.0 - win32pipe routines inclusion for Windows

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jul 18 19:46:23 EDT 2000

I've noticed that the latest sources for Python 2.0 in CVS have
included the win32pipe code from the PythonWin extensions as a
replacement for the prior os.pipe() routine in Python 1.5.2.  One
consequence of this is that you no longer receive process exit codes
on the pipe.close() operation.  Since I need the result codes in my
work, and work under Windows NT primarily, I figured I'd try to do
something about it.

I've created a small patch to the latest posixmodule.c in CVS that
uses an internal dictionary to maintain a mapping between created
pipes and child processes so it can retrieve the exit code, and was
wondering if this is something that should just be submitted to the
SourceForge patch manager or if there is any other process for Python
2.0 (this is my first non-R/O poke at the sources).

While munging around in the source it also appears that there seems to
be a mismatch between the ordering of file handles returned by the
higher order popen# routines in the internal posixmodule (the
win32pipe routines) versus the current popen2.py library module.  I
think I saw a discussion about this in the python-dev archives, but it
wasn't clear if the two should be consistent at this point in the
repository.

Thanks.

--
-- David