How does Python compare to ?

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Mon Jul 31 03:58:25 EDT 2000

[Moshe]
> Why use CGI? Its time is long past.

[Cameron Laird]
> CGI isn't modern, but it's going to be in use for a looooong
> time, I claim.

Of course -- heck, even I use CGI for most of my web solutions. The thing
is, I'm not (currently) a web developer -- so when I have a problem to
solve, the most important thing for me is how long it takes to set up
the solution. For that, CGI rocks. However, as soon as you care about
either performance or about program scalability (IOW, once it's beyond
a form-to-send-mail and its ilk) (and if you don't, then the only
difference between Java servlets, PHP-plugin and Python CGI is the
syntax), the CGI is the most horrible solution available.

CGI requires always a process startup and usually interpreter (be it
Tcl, Guile, Perl or Python) startup. That makes it unacceptable if there
are more then 2 hits/second.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.