How does Python compare to ?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Sun Jul 30 22:07:36 EDT 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10007290929450.18798-100000 at sundial>,
Moshe Zadka  <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Frank Kruchio wrote:
>
>> Specifically I couldn't find any info on how does Python compared(if you can) to PHP.
			.
			.
			.
Briefly,
1.  PHP is targeted only for Web service,
2.  the PHP folks have done monumental work
    at connecting all kinds of data stores
    (including everything like RDBMS, ADO,
    ODBC, ...) through PHP, and
3.  PHP is "simple to learn" (for vaguely
    C-ish, HTMLish, ... backgrounds) while
    Python is object-orientedly lovely and
    pure.
Other differences are barely worth mentioning at this level.
			.
			.
			.
>> What about Python versus Java Servlets for CGI applications ?
>
>Why use CGI? Its time is long past. If anything, you should compare
>
>Apache/PHP vs. Enhydra/Java vs. Zope/Python
>
>as modern days site building tools. Each has its own advantages and
>disadvantages.
Moshe and I see some things differently.

CGI isn't modern, but it's going to be in use for a looooong
time, I claim.

Maybe you use the language differently than I do.  I don't
think of servlets as CGI.  What *is* CGI to you?

Moshe is quite right that it's useful and interesting to compare
Enhydra, Zope, and PHP-endowed Apache.

Are syntax differences truly of interest to you?  What's an
example of an answer to your questions that would be useful
to you?
			.
			.
			.