Python license (was RE: Python plug-ins for Adobe Products available)

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Jul 31 18:17:37 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> writes:

> Sorry if I already missed it, but what in the heck is "GPL
> compatibility"?  We in the Peanut Gallery aren't privy to the
> details of the license being considered, but AFAICT, Python's old
> (beloved) license was not what one might call "GPL compatible" in
> that it had virtually no restrictions.

Python's old license was GPL compatible because it placed no
restrictions on the use of Python that would violate GPL.

That is, the old license did not prevent Python from being used in a
GPL project, nor did it make any requirements on such use that were
above and beyond what the GPL required/permitted - it could therefore
be termed "compatible" with a project that was to be licensed under
GPL terms, and thus with the GPL itself.

There was a separate thread on this board within the past few days
(look for "The State of Python") covering this as well.

--
-- David