off-topic, "Compiler" technology

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Jul 11 12:18:37 EDT 2000

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 04:10:13PM +0200, Andreas Otto wrote:

>   1) I released a TCL "Compiler" which has a significant speedup

TCL != Python.

There already is a Python-to-C compiler that converts Python to C, but it
uses Python's existing datatypes, so it's more of a simple translation than
a real compilation pass. It's not that simple to make it more efficient and
keep Pythons' current extensibility and introspection abilities.

>   3) "Compiler" finds all of the syntax error in the source-code
>      at compile-time ( tested with large real-world TCL application's )

The Python bytecode compiler already does this.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>