iterating over lines in a file

nobody no at bo.dy
Fri Jul 21 00:03:05 EDT 2000

thantos at chancel.org (Alexander Williams), in
<slrn8nd79h.tb1.thantos at brimstone.mecha>:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:13:12 -0500, nobody <no at bo.dy> wrote:

>>(fwiw, my preference for this stems mostly from a liking for brevity;
>>the one real "flaw" in all the python workarounds is verbosity. i tend
>>to think

> If you want brevity, there are freeware APL interpreters.

perhaps i was not clear; brevity and clarity need not be mutually
exclusive, and both are to me equally important. i like perl's
little idioms because, correctly used, they let me have both;
python seems to let me be clear (well, mostly - i'm having a hard
time seeing where blocks end, i'm noticing...) but not as concise
as i'd like to be.

>  If you
> actually have to LOOK at code again 6mo later, you'll be very, very
> thankful for Python's verbosity.

no, i won't. i _will_ be grateful that python's syntax and style is
fairly clear, but i will also be wishing it could be as clear in
about one half as many lines and statements. well written perl can be;
please, don't complain about badly written any-language, as i'm not
talking about badly written code.