Python in game development?

Jorrit Tyberghein Jorrit.Tyberghein at uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jul 19 08:11:50 EDT 2000

Mallor wrote in message ...

>"Jorrit Tyberghein" <Jorrit.Tyberghein at uz.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote in message
>>
>> In the Open Source Crystal Space 3D engine we are working on a framework for
>python
>> scripting. It is already working reasonably well but you cannot yet do
>everything
>> that you'd want to do from a python script.
>
>Why did you choose Python as opposed to any other scripting language?  In
>particular, what are your experiences so far with efficiency issues?  This seems
>to be a knock against Python from the articles that I read, but of course the
>efficiency of a language implementation can be a moving target, if the
>developers have their priorities set in that direction.

Well, CS itself doesn't force the use of Python. i.e. there is nothing in CS that
says 'Only Use Python for Scripting'. The system to allow scripting is general
and allows us to attach any scripting language. But we are concentrating on Python
first because it is a nice language mostly and there is a lot of support for
Python. I personally did not use Python much (the Python support is done by
other members in my team) so I can't really comment on the efficiency issues.

Java will be another important scripting language for the CS project.

Greetings,

Jorrit Tyberghein (Jorrit.Tyberghein at uz.kuleuven.ac.be)
Project Manager of Crystal Space, a free and portable 3D 6DOF portal engine.
More info at: http://crystal.linuxgames.com