New operators needed? (was Re: Discussion: new operators for numerical computation)

Travis Oliphant olipt at mayo.edu
Fri Jul 28 11:04:20 EDT 2000

> By the way, Konrad (hi!) -- what's the status of that reworking?  I've
> totally lost track of NumPy.  The SourceForge project doesn't seem
> very active.  So how is this going?  Is it going anywhere?

It is going somewhere (how quickly is another matter).  There is a CVS
tree under the module numpy2 at the numpy SourceForge site which contains
all of the code.  I am writing up some design documents which I will place
in the tree so that others can at least understand what I'm thinking and
contribute if they have the time.  My time-schedule was significantly
scrunched as I need to finish my work in time to transfer to my new job at
the end of the year (where I will still be working on Python).

Right now, the basic class structure for both the multidimensional array
and the universal functions is written.  The supporting C code is maybe
30% done.  Some of the C code for the universal functions can be taken
from the current implementation, but other parts need to be written from
scratch.

The slow-down seems to be that those who are familiar enough with the C
code to help don't have the time at the moment.

If anyone would like to participate, send me mail at

Oliphant.Travis at altavista.net and I will give you further details.

-Travis