[ANN] Python port to Palm Pilot

Jeff Collins collins at manhattan.aero.org
Mon Jul 10 23:52:44 EDT 2000

Will Ware writes:
 > JEFFERY COLLINS (collins at rushe.aero.org) wrote:
 > > Download the .zip file instead.  Apparently, downloading
 > > the .prc files using a browser corrupts the files.
 >
 > I also ran into a nasty crash that required a cold boot,
 > inspite of using the .zip file. The file sizes are correct
 > according to the download web page. Is it possible the last
 > test just takes such a long time that it ties up the 68k and
 > only appears to have crashed? The place it stops is "Testing
 > 3-argument pow() function..."
The download problem actually produced a Fatal Error message.  I
should have warned about the time consumed by the test app
and its uninterruptibility.

 > Wait, it's moving again! It returned to the main menu. Cool.
 >
 > What are the chances of getting a read-eval-print loop
 > running on the Pilot? While I'd rather write Pilot apps in
 > Python than some other languages, I'd love to be able to
 > write Python source right on the Pilot itself.

I have a primitive interface, for demo purposes only.  Its quite cool
to type interactively into the palm and watch the result appear on the
screen.  I don't plan to release it - it's much to ugly.  Instead, I'm
looking into adopting a LispMe-like interface.  Before any of that
happens, more integration with the palm environment will be needed.

Jeff