converting tcl database file to python

Bob Schmertz schmertz at wam.umd.edu
Sat Jul 15 20:22:36 EDT 2000

Bob van der Poel wrote:

> also thinking that this is dumb. If I were using C I'd use a structure
> like this:
>
>         typedef struct{
>                 char *Title, *Artist, *Composer, *Timing;
>         }CDITEM;
>         typedef struct{
>                 char *Name;
>                 char *Comment;
>                 char *CDItem[];
>         }CDENTRY;
>
>         CDENTRY Mydata[maxtitles];
>
> Or something like that. Any suggestions on how that would translate to a
> proper python idiom?

Did you consider a CdItem class?

class CDITEM():
    def __init__(self, name, comment, etc):
        self.name = name
        self.comment = comment
        self.etc = etc

mydata = []
mydata.append(CDITEM("Thriller", "gift from my mom", "more stuff"))

> 2. Any quick ideas on how to convert the tcl-style data file to
> something python can deal with?

Tcl's probably what I'd go with for this.  Haven't dealt with it for a while,
though.

-
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz