converting tcl database file to python

Remco Gerlich scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl
Mon Jul 17 11:58:58 EDT 2000

Bob van der Poel wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Bob Schmertz wrote:
> > Did you consider a CdItem class?
>
> No. I've looked at them but the one thing  that bothered me is that
> after defining a class (aka structure) one is free to add variables a
> will.

But the same is true for dictionaries and lists anyway... Why do you think
it will be a problem? Are you going to add harmful things (like what?) in
your sleep? ;-)

Imo, if you have a problem defining a structure and it's more complex than a
simple list or dictionary, it's time to write a class.

> Yes. started a bit this PM. I think that what I'll do is write a
> conversion in tcl and end up with a very-verbose datafile format. With
> PentiumIIs who cares about a few extra cycles of overhead parsing a
> file. I've just gotta get into the 21th century.

Or let the program write its output as Python style expressions, so you can
eval them again like the Tcl did :-)

Remco Gerlich,  scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
  5:57pm  up 133 days,  6:07,  6 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.33, 0.13